Bridge Deck & Highway
Continued development and maintenance of America’s concrete highway infrastructure is vital to the existence of our society. As the average person per capita increases, the necessity to expedite public movement and eliminate gridlock is imperative. ProTech participates in protection and repair by providing the following services:
Bridge Repair & Protection
- Polymer Overlays Designed to protect bridges from salt and moisture while providing a non-skid surface for vehicle traffic, the bridge deck polymer overlay system is applied in two coats with flint aggregate. To meet aggressive scheduling demands and avoid lane closure fees, ProTech performs all surface preparation in house, mixes and applies all polymer with specially designed mixing pumps and spreads aggregate with high performance bulk spreaders. ProTech has self -performed over 1 million square feet of bridge polymer overlays in the last 2 years.
- Healer/ Sealer A less expensive option to the Polymer Overlay, the healer/ sealer is designed to allow penetration into the bridge deck surface to seal pores and cracks. Epoxy is applied in one application and broadcast with sand for a light texture.
- Asphalt Removal By use of Asphalt Planer, Scraping and Diamond Grinding existing asphalt is removed from bridge decks to allow concrete repair.
- Structural Pothole Patching Pot holes plague the highway industry causing damage to vehicles and creating a safety hazard to motorists. If left un-repaired a pot hole can grow exponentially in days. By cutting the perimeter of the repair with diamond saw and removing loose concrete with a jack hammer, the reinforcement and pothole surface may be sand blasted and primed. Ready for repair, Rapid Setting Highway Patch is either mixed by hand or volumetric mix truck and placed for a 4 hour cure. Once complete, the deck is returned to use or shall receive a waterproof membrane by ProTech.
- Waterproof Membranes After removal of existing asphalt and repairing of pot holes, a new membrane is applied to protect the bridge surface. Installed on a fast track basis, new asphalt paving is installed simultaneously and allowed to cool. Within hours, motorists are traveling over the new bridge surface with minimal traffic interruption.
- Epoxy Injection Structural cracks in concrete walls, columns and beams not only allow water intrusion, but create a structurally unsafe condition for motorists. By injecting epoxy under pressure full depth into the cracks, structural integrity is restored and moisture is kept out. Combined with topical coating systems, the visual appearance of an injected surface is restored as well.
- Expansion Joints Bridge expansion joints are designed to allow movement between a suspended bridge deck and a solid approach slab. ProTech can remove and install all types of joints including Strip Seal, Modular and Asphaltic Systems. With proper preparation and planning by ProTech Technical staff, the system is installed simultaneously with removal and opened for traffic the following morning.
- Partial Depth Concrete Repair Pot holes plague the highway industry causing damage to vehicles and creating a safety hazard to motorists. If left un-repaired a pot hole can grow exponentially in days. By cutting the perimeter of the repair with diamond saw and removing loose concrete with a jack hammer and concrete planer, the pothole is ready for repair. For rapid return to service, hot applied polymer patch materials are installed and broadcast with aggregate for non-skid. Mixed and heated with specialty equipment, these materials include fiberglass, recycled tires and bulk stone aggregate.
- Slab Jacking For lifting slabs and void filling, ProTech uses polyurethane foam for rapid return to service. Holes are drilled and foam is injected as required. Cured in 15 minutes, foam repairs create a permanent fix that will last a lifetime.